Monday, July 3, 2017

MOVIE DIALOG OF THE DAY ― THE JOY LUCK CLUB (1993)

Connection with the previous post (TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION): Amir Morki was the Director of Photography on both films.

RATINGS: IMDB ― 7.6/10, Rotten Tomatoes ― 85%, ME ― 87%



Jing-Mei 'June' Woo: I'm just sorry that you got stuck with such a loser, that I've always been so disappointing.
Suyuan: What you mean disappoint? Piano?
Jing-Mei 'June' Woo: Everything: my grades, my job, not getting married, everything you expected of me.
Suyuan: Not expect anything! Never expect! Only hope! Only hoping best for you. That's not wrong, to hope.
Jing-Mei 'June' Woo: No? Well, it hurts, because every time you hoped for something I couldn't deliver, it hurt. It hurt me, Mommy. And no matter what you hope for, I'll never be more than what I am. And you never see that, what I really am.

Ming-Na Wen and June and Kieu Chinh as Suyuan

Trivia (From IMDB):

In the novel, it is revealed that the real name of the character played by Ming-Na Wen is Jing-Mei. On ER (1994), Ming-Na plays another character named Jing-Mei.

Towards the end of the movie, June can be seen showing an elderly couple out after the party. She bids farewell to them using their names, Daisy and T.C. Daisy is the American name of Amy Tan's (the author) mother and T.C. was the name of her mother's partner.

No comments: