Friday, March 31, 2017

MOVIE DIALOGUE OF THE DAY ― A CIVIL ACTION (1998)

Connection to the previous post (SCROOGED!): Danny Elfman was composer and score producer for both films. 

Ratings: IMDB ― 6.5/10, Rotten Tomatoes ― 60%, ME ― 65%  



Jan Schlichtmann: Do me a favour, Gordon, will you? Shut up.
James Gordon: What?
Jan Schlichtmann: I'm so tired of hearing you moan about money all the time. This isn't about money anymore.
James Gordon: No?
Jan Schlichtmann: No.
James Gordon: What's it about? What's it about, Jan?
Bill Crowley: Look, let's all...
James Gordon: No, I want to know. I want to know why I gave up my house for. My credit! My life! Would you take 10 million dollars right now?
Jan Schlichtmann: Yes.
James Gordon: But you won't take eight?
Jan Schlichtmann: No.
James Gordon: No. So at 10 million dollars this is some sort of uh... a, a mythic struggle but at eight it's just another lawsuit.
Jan Schlichtmann: If they're willing to pay eight, Gordon, then it's not enough, is it?
James Gordon: Oh, that makes sense!
Jan Schlichtmann: It makes perfect sense.
James Gordon: So, the only thing you accept is what they're not willing to give us. Listen to yourself! I for one am sick of listening to you. I've lost enough because of you.
Jan Schlichtmann: You wouldn't have anything to lose it if it wasn't for me. Everything you have I got for you!
James Gordon: I don't have anything, Jan! What do I have? I've got a couple of bucks and some, some bus transfers. I've got a saving account from when I was 12 years-old. Here! There's 37 dollars in here. With interest, after 25 years there's probably 47 dollars, take it! Add it to the war chest. Use it to fight injustice. Stand up for principles with that. Go down in flames with it for all I care. Only next time, "nex time", that's a laugh - ask us if we want to go down with you!

John Travolta as Jan SchlictmannWilliam H. Macy as James Gordon and Zeljko Ivanek as Bill Crowley.


Trivia (From IMDB):

Based on a true story.

Steven Zaillian adapted the screenplay with nobody else but Robert Duvall in mind for the role of Jerome Facher.

During the phone conversation in the radio booth, a confused Schlictmann asks Anne Anderson, "Is this Rikki?" Rikki Klieman is a real-life lawyer and former love interest of Schlictmann's in the true-to-life book. Since 1999, she's been married to Boston's former police chief William J. Bratton, who also headed the LAPD and the NYPD.

A number of scenes described in the book are reproduced in the film, such as Facher's asking for the hotel pen at the settlement conference, Schlictmann's meeting with Eustis at the Harvard Club in New York, Gordon's attempts to keep the firm solvent (even purchasing lottery tickets and giving money to televangelists) and Riley's behavior at his deposition.

The real Jerome Facher was thrilled at the way he was portrayed by veteran actor Robert Duvall.

Will Smith was first choice to play the lead.

From IMDB, Wikipedia and Google

No comments: